Thursday, April 17, 2014

Golden Grace

I remember a "few" years back, sitting inside of a small church in the Cites, worshipping with a row full of high school kids, yet distinctly sensing from God that this time was for me too.  I could almost, tangibly feel the Lord surround me, and as clear as can be, he revealed to me that as much as I was driven to find my mission field, His desire was for me to look first at serving in my own home.  This was another twist and turn to the LONG journey I had already been on to dying to myself, my idea of success and achievement, and what I thought I wanted…and the process of being able to unclench my fists and stand with my arms and my hands open to receive whatever the Lord had for me, my family, and my future.

Mainly it redefined...again...who I was as a mother.  It shifted my priorities…again…to where they needed to be; to where God desired for them to be.

Ministry is a demanding and messy place.  We saw that through our years doing youth ministry and we see that even more living and working on the field.  However, we also know that we are called to this life.  God has been so clear about that with us and there are so many days that that clarity, and the trust we have established in Him and with Him along the journey are the only thing we cling to.  Matthew 9 says, "Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few…"

We have found that in really trying seasons, seasons where our marriage should be struggling and our kids should be having issues, God has been MORE than faithful to protect us.  We claim that protection and we REJOICE in that!  We can also see the ways that we are being changed.  All of us!  I think so many times people look at Rob and I as the ones doing ministry in Haiti, but this truly is a FAMILY MISSION.

That brings me to the reason for today's post…I want to tell you a little more about my oldest daughter. The one whose coming into this world changed me forever.  The one who is so much like me, in so many ways, that it is often like looking in the mirror at my younger self.  The one who is so poised and graceful and dainty…and is the first often to bend down low and care for those around her.

Our Gracie Girl loves Haiti.  She loves it so much that even when we are in the States, she can't wait to come back, and often finds her self so out of sorts and emotional about it she doesn't know what to do with herself but cry for her home.  And that is exactly what Haiti is to her…it is her HOME.  She is so comfortable here…she is ALIVE here…and she is who God created her to be.

You can find Gracie, on a typical afternoon after her schoolwork is finished (or even before if she sneaks out when I am not looking), under the pavilion with a baby in her lap.  She knows all of their names, all of their ailments, how they are eating, if they are for adoption, their family stories, which nanny is caring for them that day, if they suck their thumb, if they spit out their food,  if they are good sleepers, what clothes are theirs, what bed they sleep in, what toys they like…I think you get the idea ;)

Her heart is for those babies.  She is gently and she is sincere.  She makes them laugh.  She rejoices when they have milestones.  And more than all of that, she cares for them so well!  Many of the nannies  refer to her as "Ti Mis", which means "little nurse".  When I was doing more of the med rounds and the daily feedings, so many times Gracie would prepare everything and be an active part of this process (with my supervision of course).  There are not many 8 year olds who know how to check placement of a feeding tube, unless that child is their sibling…and that is just it; Gracie cares for these kids like a big sister and loves them so much!

Some of the things that get her going…that put that glow on her face and sparkle in her eyes…that get her talking really fast and clapping her hands…

"Mom, Karys and I gave all the babies in the Papyion room a bath tonight and they LOVED it!  We washed them and bathed them…and one of the nannies (who is pregnant herself) even told me that I am so good at caring for babies, that when her baby comes, she will give it to me to take care of it."

"Mom!  _____ can wave!  and when you do this and tickle her here her laugh is just the cutest thing I have ever heard in my life!"

She is often leaving Kerry notes in the pharmacy about which child has a fever and what she did about it (cold rag/bath), who she gave a band-aid to, or even what she took from a bin…just so she would know :)

When a volunteer asks here if she wants to be a nurse when she grows up, and all she can do is smile and say, "I don't know…I am only 8."  :)

When she finds clothes for the kids or takes pictures with Emily.

When she and Karys put baby carriers on and walk endlessly around the compound to get babies to sleep.  Or when she gets to go outside the gate for a walk with a baby…especially with one of her good friends, BreElle.

All that to be said, I also know that while I can see God gently and so compassionately preparing Gracie's heart to leave Haiti, I know that Haiti will be a part of who she is, or her story, and who God has shown himself to be for all eternity.

So, now the call to all of our dear friends and family, and all supporters and followers who have been on this journey with us.  Gracie's "Golden Birthday" is coming up on May 9.  She wrote the invitations well over a month ago, but has since realized that there will be a smaller number of people here to celebrate with her.

Will you help us LAVISH her with love and return some of the JOY to her on her day that she so freely gives?!?!

We would love it if you could send her a card, a picture, or a gift of 9 things…it can be anything!  A list of 9 memories with her, 9 things you love about her, 9 Cliff bars, 9 books, 9 Oreos…I think you get the idea :)

Here is the address you can send it to:


Rob and Erin Vande Lune
100 AIRPORT AVE E
AGAPE FLIGHTS CAP–27325
VENICE, FL 34285-3901 
United States

It would be great if you could get it in the mail by May 2 (at the LATEST) just to be sure she got it on time!  We get our mail once a week, on Thursdays, and it usually needs to be there by Friday the week before to make the flight.

I cannot wait to share pictures with you or the JOY that fills her face on that day!!!  Thank you in advance for helping us celebrate our first born on her special day!!!















Children of the Promise has given explicit permission for the posting of photos on this site. Photos taken of children in the care of Children of the Promise are not be posted publicly without explicit permission given by Children of the Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment