Thursday, November 1, 2012

Rob's Thoughts and Daily Comings and Goings


So Erin tells me that there are requests for me to write a little bit about what my days look like here at COTP.  I think it’s somewhat appropriate to reflect back on the last month since it has been one month to the day that Jamie Groen, our Director of USA operations, announced to our nannies and other staff at COTP that Kirk Vander Pol and I were officially the new “chef’s” as they refer to us in Creole.  It was ironic that I was reminded of this date as I sat in on prayer and singing with the nannies tonight in the baby house.  The first Thursday of every month isn’t typical prayer and singing because the nannies go all out and are actually still going all out as I am typing.  I went in when they started at about 8:45pm and it is currently 11:10pm and they aren’t letting up any time soon!

One month ago I sat on a bench that I didn’t fit on with a couple of kids at my feet and my knees and elbows touching nannies as we squeezed in closely.  The nannies sounded like angels that night . . . I can still feel the goosebumps that I got last night as they sang and sounded like I had never heard before.  Little did I know what one month would bring . . . immersed in Creole trying to get by without much success until just this past week when I haven’t had to ask Sheila or Carla for interpretation help.  Spending my time getting to know 60-plus ladies that take care of our 65-plus kiddos in the baby house.  Knowing their names when I do roll call, asking about something they probably thought I forgot about or didn’t understand, and joking around with them is helping to build relationship with these ladies one day at a time.  The difference in the last month is recognizable and by continuing to invest and care for our nannies, we will continue to see a correlation to the best care yet for our kids in the baby house.

Everything in Haiti takes much longer than we would ever care for it to in the States . . . getting money out of the bank, having simple tools handy, waiting for food at a restaurant . . . you name it and it takes at least twice as long and more like three to four times as long versus the States.  This on one hand can absolutely drive a person nuts but it can also help immensely with patience.  Which brings me to the reality that I am so thankful for in Haiti . . . we are not doing this alone.  With an amazing staff around us and another couple to help take the lead, it’s not all on us, even though at times it might feel like it.  Kirk’s leadership in the things he is gifted in and me operating as the other half has served as a decent combo so far and I am thankful every day that we aren’t going this alone.

I was extremely humbled today as I started payroll, which is a three day process because of our nanny rotation, and saw the joy of employees as they had money for the next little bit.  Many of our employees make between $120 and $150 a month American.  Yes, a person and a family can live on that income in Haiti, but it still isn’t easy.  School is expensive for kids.  Food isn’t cheap.  And potential hospital visits that could break the bank lie right around the corner.  Makes me feel very selfish for packing almost three pallets worth of things for my family on a container when in all reality we don’t really need anything else.  It’s just stuff and we are definitely OK with what we have.

Erin has already posted on Facebook a quick glimpse into the busyness of my days, but here’s a quick reminder in case you didn’t see it:
  • 5:45am wake-up to let night security out and day security/gate guy in . . . this of course can be early depending on how early Toby decides to get up for the day.  one week we saw pre-5am at least twice.
  • on the upside, this early wake-up helps me work on seminary coursework bright and early when i do have some thinking and brain power left.  typically i take two courses but this quarter i am taking three and trying to keep my head above water until i am finished december 7.  after that i will have two quarters and only two-three classes left.  definitely on the last stretch for seminary.
  • the girls will wake-up anywhere from 6am to 8am depending on the day but usually earlier rather than later.  we get breakfast, hang out, try to get dressed, and get ready for the day.
  • 8am means shift change is imminent and the tap-tap with our nannies on it will arrive within the next thirty minutes.  one, two, or all the girls will typically come with me to help check off the nannies for roll call and i try to teach them their names.  some days this goes quickly because the database is running smoothly, while other days it turns into close to an hour to accomplish as names have to be written down and then entered.
  • from here it depends on the day but it could range from conversations with any Haitien staff member about issues they have with something to running on top of our roof to figure out why the generator isn’t running or why the inverter from the batteries hasn’t kicked on.  there’s never a dull day with something new around the corner.  i try to get upstairs to say hello every couple hours but wasn’t successful at all today in this as we started payroll and were trying to get everything clicking.
  • the pace by baby house nap time, after lunch, until about 3:30pm definitely shifts and there is opportunity to slow down a bit and work on some busy work or take advantage of planning for staff meetings and catching up on email if the Internet works.
  • my out a lot of days is a moto ride with our kiddos.  sometimes it ends up being all four on four separate rides or sometimes it ends up being in pairs.  somehow toby typically gets the most rides because he sits in front of me and doesn’t take up much room.
  • by this time it’s typically time for supper and we try to figure what adventure for food we are going to jump into for the night.  we definitely don’t eat like we did in the States!  i think i was up to 210 lbs this summer knowing that i should probably eat everything and have seconds and sometimes thirds.  as of last week hovering right around the 190 mark . . . it’s a new weight loss campaign that i don’t intend to market called “lose weight now, ask me how . . . move to Haiti!”
  • baths and bedtimes for the kiddos loom large after supper as they typically are exhausted and bedtimes are at times about enough to put Erin and i both over the edge after a full day.  toby is the easiest to put down with addy a close second as sometimes we will find her sleeping somewhere already.  gracie and KJ, it just depends on the night!
  • Erin and i will have been playing more games of ticket to ride or i will catch up on reading for seminary as she catches up on Facebook, emails, or the blog.  with my early up times i’m not much good after 10pm and of course i say that and it’s already almost pushing midnight now

No comments:

Post a Comment