Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dear Madame...

Dear Random Haitian Woman,

It is by no means ok for you to pick up my daughter in the bathroom.  I don't care how cute you think she is, I don't care that you want to touch her hair, and I don't even care that you think you want to walk over and show her to your friends.  It is not ok-period.

Mama Bear

So we were out to dinner at a restaurant in CAP tonight.  Addy had already been to the bathroom at least 3 times.  Every time I would take her there were random different women, most who worked at the restaurant and others it was hard to tell, who were standing around the bathroom gawking.  This is normal, especially whenever I have Addy along.  There is just something about that girl-if you have seen her and her thousands of facial expressions, you know what I am talking about!  So yeah, there is something about her and the Haitians can't get over it.  Even our nannies, who see her every day, LOVE to talk to her and touch her.  It drives Addy crazy.  You can tell she is really uncomfortable with it and has a really hard time even saying hi to them when they are all going crazy over her.

So anyway, Addy of course had to go to the bathroom a few more times (must have been the Sprite?)  So I sent her with Gracie and Karys.  Our table was directly across from the bathroom and we could see right into the room clear as day.  The first time they went, I told the girls, "Don't let anyone touch Addy."  They returned to the table successful.  They had each stood on either side of her and protected her and got the job done.

Well, the second time was towards the end of the meal and I just sent Karys and Addy.  After I saw them come out of the bathroom I wasn't at the best angle to see them at the sink.  Addy LOVES to wash her hands with bar soap so I just assumed that is what they were doing.  After a minute though I asked Rob if he could see them.  Before he could answer, Ms. Random Haitian Woman walks out of the bathroom carrying Addy.  Addy is doing all she can to hold back from crying, Karys is just holding Addy's leg and walking with them while Ms. walks over with Addy to show her to her friends sitting right outside the bathroom.  I am not sure how long it took me to get over there but I was a hot mess!  My mama bear was coming out and at this point it was probably for the better that I am not fluent in Creole.

I walked right up to the woman and grabbed Addy right out of her arms...only after I had Addy in my arms and my embrace did I talk to the woman.  "Gade li. (Look at her)  Li pa vle ou cambe li. (She does not want you to hold her) NO MESI (No thank you)."

From there I think the looks were enough...I sat and just held Addy and apologized to her for not going with her.  Wow, mom of the year award, right?  I told her next time to just start crying...then I changed my mind.  There would not be a next time...I would go to the bathroom every time...and poor, Karys.  She didn't know what to do and didn't want to leave Addy, but I think was so shocked at what was happening she couldn't speak.  Oh, man...

It is just so hard for me to wrap my head around.  I don't go and pick up random children in a public bathroom and then take them over to show my friends.  But there is the difference in culture I don't understand.  So I am confessing my ignorance...

And I want to believe the woman really meant no harm (hard for me though-if she actually took one look at Addy's face she would have for surely seen that Addy was HATING it!) and the whole instance really did only last 10-15 sec...long enough!

She just picked the wrong day of the month to mess with this mama...

And this mama's eyes were opened tonight in more ways than one...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for this. Haitian culture is different-many like to tease even each other and other children to tears and think it's funny. I remember one time Eli and I walked down the street when he was very small and he had a feather in his hand. I was unlocking a gate when he started to yell and cry. A 20+ year old man had taken the feather and walked away laughing. I called him on it and he didn't have a clue why I was upset-he just thought it was funny. Praying you find the needed balance of protecting your children while letting them experience Haiti. Your on that steep part of the learning curve and it's hard. Retreat when you need to! Call me if you need to talk or you guys can come out for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know.....when you sense something isn't right, you're probably right. I don't think it matters what culture you are in. There have been many times that I have sense something not right and I have not followed that nudge, only to find out in regret that it was telling me truth. We know that God gives us that internal radar of the Holy Spirit. I say ALWAYS follow your instinct, Erin. You are a good Mom.

    ReplyDelete